electronics design ramblings --> google hangout/skype?

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Wed Mar 12 14:11:16 UTC 2014

I changed the topic because it is good stuff, but overwhelming in this email format,
and I've got to go finish off that apartment so it can be rented out!

All of y'all use webcams to video conference?  I have the gear, and will be setting up,
testing soon.

On 03/12/2014 07:10 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> 1. to clean up the pulses should just be an LC filter, and maybe a
> load resistor, right (and maybe a feedback ADC)?
>
>> >If I may try to read Nathan's mind, I think what he is interested in is
>> >the circuit itself and not the driver.
> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I 'interested in the
> driver' that is cheap, available, and fits the circuit/application. I
> know there are some things called coils and transformers (and gosh
> I've even heard of autotransformers) but couldn't really say what they
> were or what to look for in a part for this. All I really know is the
> turn ratio for transformers, and that I need a HV transformer, and HV
> silicon switches I think, and maybe HV capacitor (but I think the
> transformer replaces the cap).
>
> I'm also interested in the circuit, cause dang it sucks to know that
> I'm stupid about this stuff, when being stupid limits me from
> accomplishing other interests. There are so many different
> applications that I believe could share a common design skeleton, but
> I'm limited in academic electrical knowledge and mostly self-taught in
> embedded computer programming and simple soldering and am VERY new to
> PCB layout (but I learned in KiCad, so yay I can share designs
> openly!).
>
> So I think I'm interested in both! I've done some engine work on my
> old Chevy, replaced the carb with fuel injection, so I know enough to
> set my ignition timing, so heck maybe I'll be a better 'Mcguyver'
> someday

Sounds good Nathan.  So far your guesses are OK, but usually need
more direction from experimental results, (using a tek scope with a 100X probe like
the P6009).

the rest was tl;dr for now.

John