[Open_electroporator] Introduction

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Wed Mar 12 17:02:34 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 08:10 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:

> *electrophoresis* (not electroporation) is the movement of ions due to
> the e-field, in a solution, but most often in a wet ion-rich gel

I'm familiar with that process.  I have a power supply around here
somewhere.  Handy medium voltage adjustable supply.

> 1. to clean up the pulses should just be an LC filter, and maybe a
> load resistor, right (and maybe a feedback ADC)?

You'd need a diode to prevent the charge from each pulse discharging
back through the coil.  I have a data sheet on some 17kV diodes but
they're only rated at 50 ma.

> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I 'interested in the
> driver' that is cheap, available, and fits the circuit/application. I
> know there are some things called coils and transformers (and gosh
> I've even heard of autotransformers) but couldn't really say what they
> were or what to look for in a part for this. All I really know is the
> turn ratio for transformers, and that I need a HV transformer, and HV
> silicon switches I think, and maybe HV capacitor (but I think the
> transformer replaces the cap).

What I need to know is how much voltage and current you need for
electroporation?  Tell me that and I'll tell you how to get there.  If
you can wait a few days until I get finished with my Fluxeon work I'll
design it for you.

John

--
John DeArmond