[Open_electroporator] Introduction

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Fri Mar 14 16:39:29 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 05:56 PM, John Griessen wrote:

>> What I need to know is how much voltage and current you need for
>> electroporation?  Tell me that and I'll tell you how to get there.  If
>> you can wait a few days until I get finished with my Fluxeon work I'll
>> design it for you.
>

> Here's a flyback with microcontrollers idea for doing pulses from
> previous discussion.
> Two pulsers could be used alternating to generate a ripply steady
> HV if they can take the heat.

Just like my partner :-)  I keep a crowbar around to pry info out of
him.  Again, what voltage and current do you need and does it need to be
DC, AC or as you say, a ripply DC?

> http://ecosensory.com/diybio/flyback-porator-pulser-1.png

This one will destroy the transistor unless a very high voltage device
is used.  There is no snubber cap across the cap to moderate the primary
winding flyback voltage.

> http://ecosensory.com/diybio/flyback-porator-pulser-2.png

This one won't work at all because of the flywheel diode.  When the
transistor turns off, the diode lets the current continue to flow in the
primary until the energy is dissipated in the coil's resistance.  There
will be little to no induced current in the secondary.

I think this is a case where a microprocessor is inappropriate.  One can
spend months duplicating in an algorithm what a few discrete components
and a dedicated chip can do.

Assuming your power requirement is modest, I'd use one of the many boost
converter single chip solutions.

I'd look at either TI or IR, as they have the best application notes.
I'll be glad to do the looking if you're not in a big hurry.  Swamped
with an induction heater project right now.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN