[Open_electroporator] pulsers -- minimum pulses for electroporation

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Mon Mar 24 21:38:36 UTC 2014

On 03/23/2014 11:40 AM, John Griessen wrote:
> Now to dream up some tiny cheap pulsers to build from junk maybe, and test and get reviewed.

I've been talking with an engineer that makes some transformers to keep
certain Tektronix scopes going almost forever.  He's done some high voltage
before with capacitance and diode voltage doublers.  Starting with
a switched flyback transformer to get a medium voltage like 600 or 800 volts,
then doubling that twice would give a little spurt of energy that's
plenty to zap a cuvette .1 or .2mm across, and some of the parts can be vanilla
(as in cheap).  The rest of the parts are HV caps and HV diodes, which
are almost vanilla -- fairly cheap.

Thinking about my idea of building two pulsers that can zap half the time,
and recover and get ready for another pulse the other half of the time
reminded me of some junk box parts -- from a compact inexpensive color laser printer.
Those printers use 4 colors if you count black, and so have four of most everything
including HV supplies, and lo and behold, they use diode voltage doublers in a cascade.

I might be able to clear off my lab bench in a week or so and get out the Tektronix P6015 HV probe
and show you photos of zaps those little pulsers from junk can do.  Plus there's
four of everything, so I could send one to impatient Nathan,
who wants a zapper, not to develop one for sale really... then eventually develop one that looks
much different without bugging him so much.

The actual size of the little transformer on the left in the attached photo is 1cm square.
The green bar on black components are diodes, blue epoxy ones are caps, TR3 white wire is HV out.