[Open_electroporator] culture shock yardboard with ST Nucleo-F401RE howto

Nathan McCorkle nmz787 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 19:29:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM, John Griessen <john at cibolo.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/2016 04:28 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
>>
>> So I complained a bit on IRC and the forums and github's Issues
>> area... and was told to buy one of these boards:
>> https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/551
>

> Dang!  That board only has 128kb flash, so the micropython filesystem code
> won't fit...

"< dhylands> The 128K user available flash is only when using .NET.
The actual MCU has 512K flash"

So I guess I didn't waste the money, though I'll need to spend some
more time getting this one going since they are programmed
differently.
dhylands says it uses the DFU, somehow through the USB 'same thing as
on the pyboard'

and
"rshell works much more reliably with the builtin USB, although you'll
still have issues if you mess up the boot.py/main.py"

He said programming should be pretty similar to this, concerning
compiling and DFU deployment/flashing:
https://github.com/micropython/micropython/wiki/Board-STM32F407-Discovery

I think the make command will be different, as in something like:
make BOARD=G30

but apparently it isn't that easy:
"So the G30 support isn't in the official micropython repository. I
created a board definition called G30HDR which can be found over here:
https://github.com/dhylands/G30HDR
12:24 < dhylands> You would clone that inside the stmhal/boards directory"

And I am guessing some pin-mappings may have changed, which may not
affect programming (they are based on the same MCU, so internals would
be the same). There seems to be some DFU pins that need jumpered or
something, see wiki link above.

Will report more if I hear anything from dhylands on IRC.