[Open_electroporator] crude electroporator testing

Nathan McCorkle nmz787 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:56:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 10:34 AM, John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/2016 11:58 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, I am not sure why there would be HV present, since the cabling
>> wouldn't have a Y-junction
>

> I won't send out a product with HV cables snaking around unless they are
> shrouded like for electrophoresis.
>
> Big shrouded cables cost. -->  back to interlock, cover, HV relay, data
> collection simplicity and zapping safety.
>
>> Seems like
>> just installing the cuvette would put you in the same kind of danger
>> zone...
>
> No, the interlock stops that danger.  The interlock is a simple hard
> mechanical system that fully disables
> the HV, not just a MCU input either -- power interrupter for the power
> supply, and also the supply has
> a discharge time less than a person can open the cover and jam fingers or
> tongue in.

Hrmm, I am really misunderstanding something here. You're saying there
will be a HV safety interlock, but you don't want to connect a DVM to
the cuvette (which would happen when the box would be open, so the
interlock would be actively disconnecting dangerous voltages. Not sure
where you're getting an idea that I meant to use HV cabling, or any
length of cabling for active HV use. I mean only to use a patch cable
for connecting a cuvette instead of sharp-tipped probes or alligator
clips. Not sure where snaking HV cables came into the picture... I
certainly didn't have that vision, and didn't mean to convey something
like that either.

On the cables 'shrouded like for electrophoresis' I am not sure what
you mean... any electrophoresis apparatus I've used always had simple
DVM probe-like cables. Just wire with some rubber and banana plugs,
even for the 2 or 3 kV electrophoresis supply I have. Same thing on
the electroporators.

It sounds like you have a good vision for staying safe, so can't argue
with that! I'm just trying to understand, and I guess now realizing
that commercial lab equipment might have some downfalls re: safety!!!