[Open_electroporator] low cost bacterial non-salty electroporation zappers

Nathan McCorkle nmz787 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 21:53:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 2:47 PM, John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:
> On 05/27/2016 04:39 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
>>
>> lower than if I would have taken the time to 'prepare
>> electrocompetent cells', being more careful with the temperatures,
>> etc...
>

>   I like the way those pipectrodes have some freeze gel in them to stay
> constant ice temperature
> while handling, zapping.  It's a no brainer bragging point.

for sure. to be clear though, my comment also meant to include the
temperatures during cell preparation time, which according to the
'bible' of the biotech lab (sambrook) essentially consists of lots of
rinses with various fluids:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/Electrocompetent_cells

I forwent all of that, and simply scooped some of a quick-brewed
bacterial soup, rinsed with water a few times, and zapped. Chilling
the zap part alone, via the pipectrodes, should definitely bring an
increase in efficiency for the quick and dirty good-enough protocol,
let alone a more-involved (or more fragile/important) cell prep.