[Open_electroporator] promoting culture shock progress

Mitchell Altschuler mitchellalt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:24:40 UTC 2017

Nathan,

First I have to hook the culture shock up to my computer, download the
software, which I assume will let me know that its working by watching a
trace.
I dont know my way around this group yet, so if its possible for anyone to
send that github URL, at your convenience it would be appreciated.

Once I know that the unit indicates its functional I'll do the
transformation at my house.
I was already in the process of making a 37C incubator.   Then all I need
is to get some GUS/amp plasmids and amp plates for testing.
Degradation of the plasmid should not be an issue, so at least at this
point,  I will not need a gel box.

The test will be a mock electorporated sample (plasmid, ecoli  but no
shock- result expected no colonies) on the AMP plate  vs a electroporated
sample (plasmid, ecoli and shock hopefully many blue colonies) on the AMP
plate.
Once I see that the electroporator is working (ill share any results) ,
then we can plan more controlled experiments to optimize the culture shock
device or the process.

I have quite a few 3D printers (Taz5, CR-10, Prusa MK MMC) .  While the
current box is nice,  once I know its working I do plan to design and make
another enclosure.

Best regards,

Mitchell

--