[Open_electroporator] promoting culture shock progress

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Mon Jul 10 20:20:03 UTC 2017

On 07/10/2017 12:24 PM, Mitchell Altschuler wrote:
> First I have to hook the culture shock up to my computer, download the software, which I assume will let me know that its working
> by watching a trace.

There is no code that does that.  There is a resistive divider feeding a voltage back to the MCU, but no code to use it.

> The test will be a mock electorporated sample (plasmid, ecoli  but no shock- result expected no colonies) on the AMP plate  vs a
> electroporated sample (plasmid, ecoli and shock hopefully many blue colonies) on the AMP plate.
> Once I see that the electroporator is working (ill share any results) , then we can plan more controlled experiments to optimize
> the culture shock device or the process.

Nathan has a program that allows some recipe control over the USB cable.  It is allowing to change pulse rate and
duration now.  What would be really helpful is some code to sequence a pulse rate for so long to ramp up, then
another rate to hold for so long, (maybe 1.5 msec), then cutoff to let the volts fall.

A future version of the machine will have some pull down loads that can be switched -- that would be good to do last to pull down
the volts sharply when a "square" pulse is desired.

> I have quite a few 3D printers (Taz5, CR-10, Prusa MK MMC) .  While the current box is nice,  once I know its working I do plan to
> design and make another enclosure.

I'm starting some 3D design work on an enclosure today.

--
John Griessen
cibolo.com  Austin TX  building lab gear for biologists