[Open_electroporator] promoting culture shock progress

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Tue Jul 11 14:42:05 UTC 2017

On 07/11/2017 05:52 AM, Mitchell Altschuler wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> (see attachments)
>
> I assume I can superglue that Cap back on the board as long as the contacts are aligned?
> It doesn't look like it was soldered.

It needs solder.

> I see two potential positions to do place the cap, does it make a difference on where I place it ?

either is fine.

> Also attached are the pictures of the wiring from the board.  One wire was loose, I reinserted the wires into the wire connector
> so if you can please confirm that its right as it is, or let me know how the wires should be attached it would be appreciated.  I
> have limited electronics experience with arduino and RaspPi etc.

If one of the wire nut connectors was still attached, then connect the loose, (and only loose), one again.

If both fell off, this will need using a volt meter before attaching to get the DC polarity correct.

You could just reconnect the loose things, then run the old original program to see how it does.

> I quickly looked over README directions about loading up micropython.

Is that the Readme.md of https://github.com/kanzure/culture_shock?
(I don't have a Mac, I use debian linux.)

 From the git repo:
Now the code needs loading by following the instructions in
kanzure/culture_shock/micropython_timer_code_lowlevl/micropython_compile_G30TH.txt Next step depends on which code you want to
run, so follow README.md in kanzure/culture_shock/micropython_timer_code_lowlevl or kanzure/culture_shock/micropython_pulser_code
as they will be different code and different platforms possibly.

Micropython_compile_G30TH.txt is written for debian or ubuntu linux.  You won't need to do that until the micropython install
breaks, or we decide to start using a more recent version.

https://github.com/kanzure/culture_shock/tree/master/micropython_pulser_code  is the newer code you want to load into your machine.

You will need any kind of Mac terminal program for using a USB to serial port to talk to a running micropython installation.
Mac OS X: use the command: screen /dev/tty.usbmodem* is what Nathan uses.

The other thing you need is a Mac file manager app, (one of which probably pops up automatically when the USB device, [culture
shock], is plugged in).

I use a mac and saw the readme in which you have some
> direction on how to upload that via a mac and then there are two programs to load.  That is something I plan to do later this
> morning.  If you have any suggestions or tips before I do that it would be appreciated.

Nathan's program is in files:
tim3_enable_tim1_tim2_tim5__tim1_shuts_down.py
boot.py
stm_low_level.py
nvic.py
pybcdc.inf

These files all need to be copied to the virtual drive created by the USB connection to culture shock.
The virtual drive comes up as /flash on a linux system, not sure about Mac.  It will probably be visually obvious though.
That virtual drive directory, /flash will already contain boot.py main.py and the old program hv_pulser_orig.py
main.py is default and can be left as is.  Copy in all the rest in the list above.

If we can load up Nathan's tim3_enable_tim1_tim2_tim5__tim1_shuts_down.py
  program, it still is not optimized for doing a range of strengths of zaps for testing purposes.

It will do though, so loading it is a good goal.  The pulse shape it can do will be either a (1 - exp) up then (1 - exp) down, or
a (1 - exp) up to a plateau, then (1 - exp) down..

tim3_enable_tim1_tim2_tim5__tim1_shuts_down.py  has a couiple of variables you can change iwth a command,
and a "fire" command.  I'll reread the source and get back to you on that soon.  Breakfast now.
What time zone are you in Mitchell?  Pacific coast?

--
John Griessen
cibolo.com  Austin TX  building lab gear for biologists