[Open_electroporator] culture shock prototype from Mitchell arrived.

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Tue Jul 25 15:53:30 UTC 2017

On 07/25/2017 10:06 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> So hopefully in the future we can ask users to show hidden/system files and that will fix it.

Yes, and borrow a Mac and write up in terms of least effort default methods.  There my be a way to
just use a terminal emulator program that comes with Macs, or is commonly used for
OS-X-under-the-hood-unix commands.

I wonder what the least exp. Mac is that will load the current OS?  The underlying X86 hardware has been
the same for a long time now...

Wikipedia:
"preinstalled on all Macs since 2002."    "Mac OS X 10.4.7 and higher versions of Mac OS X 10.4 run 64-bit command-line tools
using the POSIX and math libraries on 64-bit Intel-based machines"
"macOS shares its Unix-based core, named Darwin, and many of its frameworks with iOS"

These seem to have no big filesystem or hardware changes since recently:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was released on August 28, 2009.
	For most users, the most noticeable changes were: the disk space that the operating system frees up after a
	clean install compared to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, a more responsive Finder rewritten in Cocoa, faster Time
	Machine backups, more reliable and user friendly disk ejects, a more powerful version of the Preview
	application, as well as a faster Safari web browser. Snow Leopard only supported machines with Intel
	CPUs, required at least 1 GB of RAM, and dropped default support for applications built for the PowerPC
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released on July 20, 2011.
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was released on July 25, 2012.
OS X 10.9 Mavericks was released on October 22, 2013.
OS X 10.10 Yosemite was released on October 16, 2014.

The new version may be a big unix/linux interoperability departure with the new filesystem:
macOS 10.13 High Sierra was announced on June 5, 2017. High Sierra uses the new Apple File System

So maybe I can find a 2010 macbook cheap and load it with OS X 10.10 from ebay, and have a product testing machine.

--
John Griessen
cibolo.com  Austin TX  building lab gear for biologists