[Open_electroporator] Using Nathan's tim3_enable_tim1_tim2_tim5__tim1_shuts_down.py program

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Tue May 2 16:40:09 UTC 2017

On 05/01/2017 08:05 PM, John Griessen wrote:
>> I was thinking of how to ramp up and down, we could widen the period,
>> leaving pulse-widths constant,
>
> Not good use of the available power.  Best fast shoot up by having 1/2widths a little less than half the period.

I looked at more different shots, including some with the older pulser program and realized saying
"Best fast shoot up by having 1/2widths a little less than half the period.", was a mistake.

Keeping the pulses even is essential but the duration of a pulse is related to how much energy
is transferred by capacitance and diode action in the doubler.  For a given doubler capacitance value,
and when diode volt drops are a small percentage, there is a fixed duration that is enough and it does not need to be longer, so
yes, your plan "leaving pulse-widths constant" is fine.  shot off my mouth too quickly.

A value of a(xx, 8, xx), pulse-widths = 8, corresponds to about 20 u secs, (needs confirmation), and is enough
to ramp up in .3 milliseconds, or 300 microseconds.  That should allow most old fashioned recipes and plenty of new ones for
electroporation results and efficiency.

--
John Griessen
cibolo.com  Austin TX  building lab gear for biologists