[Open_electroporator] First test

Nathan McCorkle nmz787 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 13:10:24 UTC 2017

On May 6, 2017 10:28 PM, "Nathan McCorkle" <nmz787 at gmail.com> wrote:

Will post results tomorrow.

Results were inconclusive. The positive control worked (growth), the
negative control worked (no growth). These were obvious because I didn't
spread the cells, so the growth was quite contrasting. The transformation
samples were spread with a bent metal inoculation loop, so maybe they were
growing conformally, and it's still too early to tell.

They're still in the incubator, but I've left town for a conference, so my
fiance will try checking and sending me a photo... But her eyes are not as
trained as mine, so unless the growth becomes very obvious, this one might
have failed.

 I didn't check the resistance of the sample with an ohmmeter.

When I followed this recipe years ago, I used fresh DNA, started with
liquid culture instead of plate scrapings, and used 18 megaohm water (back
to resistance). I also had a shaker incubator for the recovery period.

I didn't measure the volume of agar in each petri dish, I assumed it was
20mL, so used 20 microliters of 1000X ampicillin stock (target is 1uL/ml).
Maybe I overdosed by 2X, not sure how detrimental that can be... Slower
growth or no growth, not sure.

I won't be able to get back on this for at least a week, but I think I
really want to focus on getting the ADC logging to work, if the voltage was
obviously too low, I would have increased the settings for the second run.
I think I'd feel best if the ADC could limit the voltage for me, leaving me
to command simply voltage and duration. More to come in a month or so,
after some more programming.