[Open_electroporator] pyflex_f401 v0.5 --> v0.6 testing

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Thu Apr 12 04:29:52 UTC 2018

On 04/11/2018 10:05 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:

> But we don't need frozen modules, right?

Frozen modules is a way to debug from bare hardware without USB port working.
Not needed for culture sock, just to debug with.

I used C programs to check out that the hardware is functional except for one GPIO pin
we were using for one of the timers.  The pins used by USB are working.
That one bad pin can be routed around with another pin and a rewire for the one assembly.
There is no need to spend a day and a half to make another assembly to debug this.
Micropython is what needs debugging and the new platform definition debugged, probably not the hardware any further.
When micropython has no USB port it is hard to get started with anything except with frozen-modules ==
program-compiled-in-with-the-OS code.

I just was able to compile normal micropython for the G30TH board and use the REPL.
But not frozen.  And when I tried my test program on the G30TH board (loaded via USB virtual filesystem),
it did not toggle any GPIOs.  That could be easy to fix -- could be going soon, or not.
I'll work on that some while getting organized for enclosure work.

The time to do a side trip and use some G30TH modules for testing purposes would be about
a week of nonstop work that would have no other benefit except testing -- it would stop all
other progress.  I'd rather not do that.  The version using G30TH would not fit in enclosures for safety, or if they did,
the enclosures would be larger klunkier, and more costly.  As I regroup and organize work
on enclosures, I'll also look at assembling another board with just the sections of parts that
already proved out and the MCU.  That might make sense to do.

This broken first article is frustrating but we're getting close to a working one.