[Open_electroporator] culture shock v0.7 sent to pcb fab

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Mon Aug 20 15:16:20 UTC 2018

I placed a bare pc board order 10 hours ago and still cannot find anything crucially wrong with it,
so it looks like it has a good chance of being ready for promotion purposes by the 27th to ship to Oregon
and then go with Nathan to the Biohack the Planet conference.

Now some work on enclosure 3D shapes that are manufacturable.  I've used FreeCAD with some results,
but it's convoluted to get anything parametric and reusable to iterate towards a shape that
can be carved first, then easily molded for low volumes like single thousands instead of
the usual injection mold tooling aimed at 100k+ volumes.  Even Protomold tooling is $2k per
clam-shell pair per resulting plastic part, and it only lasts for 7-10k impressions,
then needs to be "carved out again".

I'm going to look at what shapes are possible with OpenSCAD again.  Fillets are essential,
but maybe I can figure a way to code them to align with box corners easily somehow and
leave FreeCAD brittleness behind.  Solvespace has beautiful parametric ability and GUI structure,
but no fillets.