[Open_electroporator] Why a flyback pulser ?

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Tue Nov 12 14:27:35 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 06:58 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> The opto-isolation is for sending i2c/spi/serial
> voltage readings right?

All that needs to go between micro2 and micro1 is
a signal edge that means, "turn off the FET".
micro2 can do voltage readings and handle the decision.
If we want the decision in micro1 for more features,
then the analog of the output voltage can be put in
the form of a frequency for micro1 to measure on one wire
that goes through an opto isolator..

Everything that crosses the dashed line in sketch:
http://ecosensory.com/diybio/flyback-porator-pulser-2.png

needs to not conduct.

The flyback transformer/inductor
needs to be designed for working at 2.5kV.
Nothing should arc with 5 kV on it.

Power for micro2 needs to come from the HV, or
through another transformer for isolation.

To shop for a flyback transformer with two output
windings, one with 400:1 turns ratio and one with 1:1
turns ratio will be best for costs in high volumes.
To start we can use a separate low power handling,
small 5 kV withstand 1:1 transformer to power micro2.

Shocked = dead at 2kV.