[Open_electroporator] low cost bacterial non-salty electroporator proposal

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Mon Jun 20 17:25:35 UTC 2016

On 06/20/2016 11:46 AM, Kermit Henson wrote:
> First thing that comes to my mind is, do you want to work in the "official" market (research labs, industry, teaching labs....) or
> in the "underground" market (DIYBIO scene and other crazy people).

Crazies first, then smarket to the official safety-sealed market of university labs and corporate users.

> In Europe, as long as I know, the IVD devices must get a CE mark. For a device like this, shouldn't be a problem (is not the first
> in the market) but I don't know how much money would cost in order to get a notified body for such issue.

For ETL testing for lab use it is probably $7000 US and costs of spending a week in Dallas Texas where they are.
To get other marks at the same time is going to be some extra -- not sure how much, but ETL includes CSA for Canada and
also Mexico now.

> In order to test the device in the real world, I can talk with some friend who works electroporating chicken eggs and zebrafish. I
> can perform bacteria test by myself.

The chicken and zebrafish might work OK if not too salty -- later on I will figure how to deal with mammalian
cell suspensions.  They might do well with a smaller cuvette volume so the higher power draw of salty solutions
still fits in the available power range.

> Dont know about this issue under the FDA's legislation.

It's not a medical device unless you use it on humans...if some of that camp of researchers wants it
certified that way, then would be the time to offer it as a company for sale to folks that want to do that
long process and reap the regulated rewards -- not me.