[Open_electroporator] Culture Shock yardboard testing

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Mon Jun 27 17:06:47 UTC 2016

On 06/27/2016 11:22 AM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> My reason for posting references to LARGER and HEFTIER products was not the point, the point was their purpose was for delivering
> lots of current in a quick pulse. I ASKED if a topology like this could be utilized with SMALLER components, because I KNOW our
> target application is MUCH less intensive.

We really need long drawn out pulses just like is good for getting energy of sparks to sustain long enough to trigger combustion
in the engine ignition systems.  Here's another nice write up about  ignition systems where they describe how recent spark coils
improve things by not using a mechanical spark distributor, allowing high revs.  We are going for even higher revs than cars
because we can, and that gets us smaller components.  30 kHz may be possible and 15 kHz is definitely easy to get for repetition
rates of push and pull pulses.  Cars with a coil per cylinder would pulse it at every other rev for a 4 cycle engine.  That means
1/2 the RPMs.  Car RPMs top out at 7000 unless its a race car, so 3500 RPMs for the coil.  RPMs to frequency is 1/60 ratio so
frequency is only 58 Hz.  We'll aim for 15 kHz or better and have small transformer cores by comparison.

Soon I go to work studying enough theory to get a quantitative transformer spec done.  But next is more micropython bring up work.